If you took advantage of the offer to defer VAT payments falling due between 20 March 2020 and 30 June 2020 – to help out with the impact of COVID disruption – you now have 3 choices. You can:
- pay the deferred VAT in full on or before 31 March 2021
- opt in to the VAT deferral new payment scheme when it launches on 23 February 2021 and will remain open until 21 June 2021
- contact HMRC if you need more help to pay on 0800 024 1222 by 30 June 2021 if you need extra help to pay
If you do not successfully action one of the above options you may be charged interest or a penalty by HMRC.
If you want to opt in to the new payment scheme
You cannot opt in yet. The online opt-in process will be available on 23 February 2021. You must opt-in yourself, we cannot do this for you. Instead of paying the full amount by the end of March 2021, you can make up to 11 smaller monthly instalments, interest free. All instalments must be paid by the end of March 2022. If you are using the VAT Annual Accounting Scheme or the VAT Payment on Account Scheme you will be invited to join later in March 2021.
The scheme will allow you to:
- pay your deferred VAT in instalments without adding interest
- select the number of instalments from 2 to 11 equal monthly payments (depending on when you join)
To use this scheme, you must:
- still have deferred VAT to pay
- be up to date with your VAT returns
- opt-in before 21 June 2021
- pay the first instalment when you join
- be able to pay the deferred VAT by Direct Debit
If you opt-in to the scheme, you can still have a time to pay arrangement for other HMRC debts and outstanding tax.
Get ready to opt in to the new payment scheme
Before opting in you must:
- create your own Government Gateway account if you don’t already have one
- submit any outstanding VAT returns from the last 4 years. You will not be able to join the scheme if you have not done so
- correct errors on your VAT returns as soon as possible. Corrections received after 31 December 2020 may not show in your deferred VAT balance
- make sure you know how much you owe, including the amount you originally deferred and how much you may have already paid
You should also:
- pay what you can as soon as possible to allow HMRC to show the correct deferred VAT balance
- consider the number of equal instalments you’ll need, from 2 to 11 months.
Please see HMRC guidance for full details https://www.gov.uk/guidance/de...